Benefits of Orthodontics treatment
When it comes to orthodontic treatment, our aim is to always improve the overall health and appearance of your teeth and gums. There are a number of other benefits that include:
- Removal of dental crowding or closing spaces.
- Alignment of the upper and lower dental arches.
- Correction of the bite of the teeth so that the front teeth meet on closing and the back teeth mesh together.
- Reducing the likelihood of damage to prominent teeth.
- Enhancing facial aesthetics.
- Accommodating impacted, unerupted or displaced teeth.
- Preparation for advanced dental treatment, such as crowns, bridges or dental implants.
- Reversing the drifting of the teeth in older patients who have suffered from advanced gum disease.
Reasons for Orthodontics
Protruding upper front teeth
One of the most common dental problems, but easily fixed.
A narrow jaw may mean there is not enough room for your teeth, resulting in crowding. Conversely, some patients have significant gaps between their teeth.
Particularly when the centre lines of the upper and lower front teeth do not match, perhaps because the teeth have drifted or the position of the jaw has shifted.
In some patients, secondary teeth come through in the wrong position or do not erupt at all. Orthodontic treatment can help bring these teeth into the correct position.
An open bite
When your front teeth remain apart when your back teeth meet; the tongue is often still visible between the upper and lower front teeth.
A deep or reverse bite
When your upper teeth cover the lower teeth too much or when your upper teeth bite inside the lower teeth.